Why Sunnybank Boutique Guesthouse is a MUST for Anyone Craving an Idyllic Country Escape

by - 01:39

Sunnybank Guesthouse's Guest Lounge: artfully arranged with a chess board at the window and surrounded by stylish wooden furnishings.
Sunnybank's Guest Lounge has that perfect "country home" aesthetic.
This post is not sponsored, promoted or influenced in any way by Sunnybank Guesthouse and is strictly representative of my own experiences and opinions only.

When you picture a classical English countryside escape, it's pretty likely that the image you'll conjure up will be a dead ringer for Sunnybank Boutique Guesthouse. There's a reason they boast a 5/5 TripAdvisor score, with comfort embedded in the fibre of the building and friendly and attentive staff to make your stay as relaxing as possible.

I've talked before about my love for staying in buildings that are old or filled with character and Sunnybank has character in abundance. If you're seeking the exact opposite of a somewhat manufactured, high-paced city break in an impersonal ultra-sleek hotel and are craving something a little more relaxed and a lot more peaceful then Sunnybank Guesthouse is a must for you.

First Impressions & Location

The building is on a relatively steep hill which makes it a bit less accessible than other places but provides a stunning view over the village and the surrounding countryside; the exterior of the building is as pleasant and welcoming as inside, showing off the subtle charm of the country guesthouse. (I've already said "country" a lot, can you tell I'm a city gal?).

The front door of Sunnybank Guesthouse draped in light purple flowers.
The building itself has plenty of charm.
The garden at Sunnybank Guesthouse with a neat seating area surrounded by well maintained trees and flowers
I wish the weather had been nicer on my visit so I could have enjoyed this gorgeous, well-maintained garden more!

The view of green fields from the front garden.
The views of the surrounding countryside add to Sunnybank's character and atmosphere. 

Location wise, it is perfectly situated for visiting the village in all its picturesque tranquillity or for venturing out further afield into Yorkshire or even Manchester, should you wish to.


The tower of St John's Church, Holmfirth sticking up from behind green foliage.
The guesthouse is next to this beautiful little church, which is visible from the front garden.

The archway of St John's Church, Holmfirth, providing a glimpse of the church and grounds.


 Facilities 

Sunnybank has 4 rooms, as well as a lodge (which I very much want to experience on my next visit) that is separate from the main building. I stayed in the Patio View room which I found to be spacious and comfortable, as well as having a large bathroom across the hall. I confess that using a bathroom which was separate from my room was a little daunting to me at first, especially as I was concerned about waking people later at night or running into other guests in my pyjamas (and untamed hair) but it was totally fine and I got used to it pretty quickly. It is a private bathroom as the other rooms have en-suites, and it's also the largest of the 4, with the benefit of being well equipped with toiletries and stylishly decorated. I regretted not making more time for a bubble bath!

Patio View bedroom: a large double bed and red furnishings.
Patio View Bedroom

Patio view bathroom with art deco vibes at Sunnybank Guesthouse
Patio View Bathroom

Everything was well-maintained to a high standard, comfortable, and clean; they also provided an impressive spread of tea, biscuits, and coffees in the room which really accentuates the homely and relaxing vibe of the guesthouse.

Assortment of teas, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits in the Patio View room
The assortment of hot drinks and biscuits in the room makes the experience of Sunnybank that bit cosier.



Breakfast & Lounge Areas

As a relatively new vegetarian / not quite vegan, the biggest concern for me is often vegetarian breakfasts when I stay somewhere new, particularly if they're a more old-fashioned establishment. I'm quite happy to skip breakfast for some coffee (I know, I know), but I do love a cooked vegetarian or vegan spread, as anyone that follows me on Twitter or Instagram will know. 

I think Sunnybank did a great job with my cooked veggie breakfast; potato rostis, good old Linda McCartney sausages, cooked veg, plenty of toast and of course, my coffee. I was very pleased with it and it set me up for the day without making me feel too full or bloated.

Vegetarian Breakfast at Sunnybank Guesthouse: cooked tomato, mushrooms, potato rostis and vegetarian sausages
By the time I had thought to take a picture of the rest, my toast was half demolished and my coffee almost gone...needless to say I didn't think it would make for the most appetising of photos, so I stuck with the main part!


I think though, that my favourite part of Sunnybank Boutique Guesthouse was the Guest Lounge (pictured at the beginning of this post), across from the dining area. It struck me as the absolute epitome of fine country living, with a cosiness that doesn't undermine the casual elegance of it. The chess board artfully placed by the window, the comfortable sofas facing the large fireplace and bookshelves. It's the kind of room that you can imagine reading in on a cold winter's day, the fire crackling, coffee freshly brewed - a perfect sanctuary. When I sent a picture to my fiancé his reply echoed my sentiments: "that's what my ideal living room would look like". 

Guest Lounge of Sunnybank Guesthouse with chic sofas, a large ornate fireplace and bookshelves.
This has all the makings of a perfect reading spot.

Guest Lounge is decorated with comfortable looking couches and matching brown wooden furniture.

Overall, I loved Sunnybank Boutique Guesthouse and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet getaway to the countryside. I actually can't wait to back myself (especially since it means I can see my amazing friend Beth) and this time bring my fiancé so we can relax as a couple which I think with the wedding coming up is something we would really benefit from!

Have you visited Sunnybank? Let me know in the comments! 



***

I received no payment for this piece, all views are strictly my own. 
**All photographs are my own; please don't use, edit or share without my knowledge.**

You May Also Like

0 comments